Oh how I hate quizzes and
tests. I missed two questions on the quizzes because I didn’t pay close enough
attention and accidentally selected the wrong answer…I think I was glancing at
the one question and then scrolled and selected the answer for the other
question. I don’t really know what I did, but I KNEW the answers. I’ve never
been a good quiz or test taker and I’ve never really understood why. Oh well…water
under the bridge, right?
This week, I LOVED the video
by Jim Ritchie. In it he talked about how we should pay ourselves first and how
to invest so that we can become financially independent. OH how I wished I had
learned these lessons in my youth. If I had, maybe money wouldn’t be such a
miserable part of my life. Don’t get me wrong, I love money. I think it is a
great thing. I think having money would be a spectacular part of life. The
things I could and would do with money! The people I could help, if I only had
money. But, unfortunately, money and I have a love/hate relationship. I love it
and it seems to hate me because it avoids me like the plague. Or maybe it is
not really avoiding me so much as I am not very good at managing it? Yeah…I
think that is more than likely the REAL problem. I am grateful for lessons like
this week’s lessons because they have taught me a little bit about what I’ve
been doing wrong all my life. I hope I can start making the changes necessary
in order to have a love/love relationship with money and thus, be able to help
others better.
I think your view of money can
help or hinder your life. I think when you fixate on money and will do ANYTHING
to get money, you are setting yourself up for trouble. Thankfully, I am not one
of those types of people. I will work hard, but my integrity is more important
to me than money, so I won’t ever steal or rob others for my own personal gain.
I answer to a Higher Authority and that helps keep me in check. I also think if
you don’t pay enough attention to money, you are setting yourself up for
trouble and a pretty difficult life. The key seems to be a “middle of the road”
attitude toward money. It’s important for providing the basic necessities of
life and can be used as a tool to help others, but it must be controlled and
managed or else it will control and manage us! I am reminded of the saying, “You
can buy anything in this world with money” and who said that. I never want to
have that be my motto!
I think the rules for
prospering are pretty important rules to live by. They are:
Rule 1. Seek the
Lord and have hope in him
Rule 2. Keep the commandments,
that includes the temporal ones, tithing and fast offerings.
Rule 3. Think
about money and plan how you can become self-reliant.
Rule 4. Take
advantage of chances for learning so you will not be ignorant of these matters.
Education, as President Hinckley has taught us, is the Key to Opportunity.
Rule 5. Learn the
laws upon which the blessings of wealth are predicated.
Rule 6. Do not send away the
naked, the hungry, the thirsty or the sick or those who are held captive.
These rules are wonderful
guidelines for life, not just money. When we put the Lord first and keep His
commandments, everything will work out. Faith is one thing we must all have to
be truly successful…in my opinion.
(B183)
No comments:
Post a Comment