What
really struck me this week was my desire to make a difference in the world
around me. I think it has been there all along, but in watching the Acton Hero
videos of Catherine Rohr and Corey Bell, this desire was reconfirmed within me.
Here is what I learned from them:
CATHERINE ROHR – “Within
1 month I took action…” This is what struck me about Catherine Rohr. She saw a
need and immediately made movement toward filling that need. She knew if she
could make it through the time of opposition that she could make a difference.
I really relate to that. I have that exact same feeling about my business. I know
I am going to face a lot of opposition and struggles in creating it, but I also
know that I was Divinely inspired to create it and therefore, I can make it
happen, with the help of the Lord. Just as Catherine seemed to find a “Divine
calling,” I believe I have too.
Another
thing she said that really struck home with me was when she said, “I feel like
I was built for this. I have a background of getting knocked down and getting
back up. I had a lot of resolve and when I commit, I commit and I’m not going to
back down. And challenges and obstacles hurt, sure I got depressed after that,
I questioned, but there was never a moment of doubt in my mind that I did the
right thing. I knew that I was doing what I was supposed to do. How it was all
going to turn out, I didn’t know, but I didn’t feel like I needed to know the
outcome. All I needed to do was be faithful to this vision one day after
another.” THIS is exactly how I feel about my business. I have no doubts.
I
also felt that the reason she has been so successful is she prescribes to the
idea of surrounding herself with great mentors, staying close to them, picking
their brains about everything in her life and that circle of counselors have
helped her tremendously. I love what she said about America being a place of 2nd
chances and we need to give everyone those chances. I want to help others learn
and grow. Catherine Rohr is an example of who I want to become!
COREY BELL – The founder
and CEO of TriFusion learned at a very early age that he didn’t want to follow
in his grandfather’s footsteps of manual labor as a brick mason. He realized
that was not where he wanted his life to go. Corey is a man of principles and
has shaped his company to reflect those values. I think this is critical for
all businesses. Just like with JetBlue, values are an integral part of a truly
good and successful business.
“Can’t
does not exist”…what a brilliant attitude! He said, “Entrepreneurship is about
eliminating the word “can’t” from your vocabulary. I agree! If you want something
bad enough, you will find a way to make it happen.
Corey
also talked about seeing where he wanted to be and finding a way to get
there…another great thing. Convincing his wife that he needed to do this was
probably his greatest achievement. That is truly something difficult!
I
related to his quote about the graveyard being the richest place in the world
because it is full of dead dreams and riches that never happened. Those people
died with a lot of what if questions. I don’t want to live and die in the “what
ifs” of my world. Corey said, “If I believe I can do it, I’m going to try.”
That is the way I want to live my life…trying! Guy Kawasaki said, “It’s almost
better to fail at something grand than to succeed at something marginal. Just
go for it.” I believe Corey subscribes to this same ideal and so do I!
I
love that he is concerned with not just taking from the world, but finding a
way to give back. “Our number one value is that we’re people of character,
passion, and intelligence.” I wish more people were like that! He wants to live
his life so it makes a difference and that we are all called to be people of
impact. I too want to leave behind a legacy of caring and to leave a positive
impact when I am gone.
In
my studying of the talk by Elder L. Tom Perry entitled “United in Building the
Kingdom of God,” I found this same principle to be the heart and soul of this
talk. Isn’t it interesting that three people of presumably three different
faiths all have the same goal? I also find it to be no coincidence that they
are all three very successful people. Why is that? I believe it is because the
Lord wants us to help and serve others and when we have a desire to do His
will, He blesses us. Period. That’s it. Pretty basic, right?
Well,
I can tell you right now that I KNOW Howling Heart will be a place of sanctuary
and refuge from everyday life and, in the event of an emergency; we will be
there too! I pray that I find the courage, strength and wherewithal to bring
this dream to fruition! I know with the Lord on my side, I can do anything. He
will not let me fail because He has called me to this. It is my passion. It is
my calling. It is my dream to make a difference!
(B283)
No comments:
Post a Comment