What struck me the most this week was
President Monson’s talk on having An Attitude of Gratitude and how that
relates to business. While he never really tied the two ideas together in his
talk, I was taught by the Spirit that having a grateful heart in ALL things is
imperative, if you want to be successful in life. President Monson expressed
gratitude for many different people in his life and I want to take this
opportunity to show my gratitude for some very key people in my life.
First, following President Monson’s
lead, my mother. My dear, sweet, loving, kind, supportive mom, Evelyn Jane Hyde
Sessions is one of the very few heroes I have in life. My mom put up with SO
much from all of us. My mom supported my father through his time in the U.S.
Navy, through undergraduate and law school, as well as helped him open his own
law practice. She served as wife, mother, partner, legal secretary, and key
supporter of all things in their lives. I truly do not think my father would
have found the success he did, were it not for my mom and her loving support.
When she was but 33 years old, my mom
buried her 10-year-old daughter, my sister Sandy. Sandy was killed in a tragic
accident. This devastating blow could have destroyed my mom, and to be honest,
it almost did. However, she still had an 8-year-old son to raise and a husband
to support, so she stayed strong. About 3 years later, she was willing to give
her heart away again and they adopted me. I never once, in all of my 49 years,
have felt anything other than I was her daughter. I’ve never felt like I didn’t
belong to her because she didn’t give birth to me. My mom mastered the ability
to love unconditionally and trust me when I say I gave her MANY reasons to stop
loving me. She never quit. She never gave up on me. My mom always loved and
believed in me. To this day, my mom is still my best friend, followed closely
by my daughter.
Secondly, I would like to give my
gratitude to my father, Vernon Kirk Sessions. While my dad and I often do not
see eye to eye on things, I think that is because we are a lot alike. We are
both bull-headed and stubborn…Byron tough! My dad came from Pioneer stock. His
3rd great grandma and her family joined The Church of Jesus Christ
of Latter-day Saints in its early stages and were driven out of home after home
because of persecution. They never gave up. They never quit. They always moved
forward with steadfastness in Christ. In September 1847, they settled in the
Salt Lake City, Utah area, establishing Sessions Settlement, which in turn
became Bountiful, Utah. Eventually my dad’s great grandpa, Byron Sessions, was
sent to settle the Big Horn Basin in Wyoming and the town of Byron, Wyoming was
established. That is where my dad grew up. The son of hard working parents,
Kirk and Pearl Lynn Sessions, my dad worked and played hard. He joined the Navy
and eventually, became a practicing lawyer in Colorado. He chose law because he
wanted his children to be proud of what their dad did for a living. We most
certainly are.
Thirdly, I want to share my thanks for
my amazing missionary daughter, Aerika Joleen Jepperson. She has been such a
gift and blessing from Heaven. Words cannot express how grateful I am for her.
She has challenged me from the get go with her intelligence, reasoning
abilities, and strong spirit! This young woman has taught me more about God,
His Gospel, and eternal salvation than just about anyone. Aerika is the reason
I’m in college. She challenged me to progress and grow. She wanted me to become
“better” so we would have “better” things to talk about when she came home.
Where most people who challenge me to do things meet a brick wall, Aerika finds
a marshmallow that she can bend and stretch to whatever shape she wants. There
is nothing I wouldn’t do for her.
Teachers…I would like to give a shout
out to two of my favorite teachers in high school. Sam Weintraub was my
Psychology teacher and Perry Weissman was my English teacher. I learned more
from these two men than from all the other teachers in high school combined. I
am eternally grateful to them both.
My take away from this week is simply
this: show gratitude in all that you do and you will be blessed. It is my goal
to make certain my employees (when we get our business up and running) KNOW how
grateful I am for them and each of their special accomplishments. I need them
to understand how important they are and I will do all that I can to ensure
they know.
No comments:
Post a Comment