If I were to give a “Last
Lecture” to someone who wants to begin their entrepreneur journey, the first
piece of advice I would give them would be to hit their knees in fervent prayer
to find out what direction Heavenly Father would have them go. I truly believe
that each of us have a divine destiny to which we have been called and we just
need to figure out what that is. The only way I know how to find that out is
through fervent, sincere, and humble prayer!
My other advice would be to
take all the Business Management courses you can take! I have learned SO much
from this semester…more than I can even remember. I would tell them to read all
of the books I read this semester: Return
by Elder Robert D. Hales, The Ministry of
Business by Steven A. Hitz and James W. Ritchie, A Field Guide for the Hero’s Journey by Jeff Sandefer and Rev.
Robert Sirico, The E-Myth Revisited
by Michael E. Gerber and finally, Mastery:
The Keys to Success and Long-Term Fulfillment by George Leonard. These
books have been great guides for my entrepreneur journey and I think anyone
interested in following this path would benefit greatly from reading these
books.
I would caution any “Wannabe”
entrepreneur to do their due diligence before jumping into the deep end of
entrepreneurship. Research what it is you want to do, is there a market for it,
and then go find mentors to help you on your journey! Mentors will help you
skip a lot of heartache and maybe even bankruptcy. Mentors are people who want
to help you succeed, who feel better when those they help make a difference.
Another word of advice…don’t forget to serve others along your way. When you
become a successful entrepreneur (notice I said WHEN not IF…the power of
positive thinking at play there), make sure to give back! Help others along
their Hero’s journey. Take someone under your wing and help them become what
they should become! You will find great joy in the service of others.
My final piece of advice is
don’t be afraid to take risks. Find your calling and then go for it. It will be
a terrifying experience, but it can also be exhilarating! Don’t be afraid to
ask for help! Surround yourself with people who are smarter than you and then
listen and use their counsel. Don’t ask for advice and then blow it off. Your
mentors will want to be heard and they are your mentors for a reason. I believe
you will become what you surround yourself with. If you want to be successful,
surround yourself with successful people! If you want to be a failure, surround
yourself with failures. It really is that easy…in my opinion.
Now, go and do! Go about
serving others and changing the world around you. Don’t make excuses why you
can’t! Make excuses WHY YOU CAN!!! Surround yourself with light, positivity,
and goodness and those qualities will come back to you! Have fun! This life is
meant to have joy! Be happy! Make others happy! If you will focus on everyone
around you and not on yourself, you WILL be a happier person. THIS much I know
to be true!
Go get ‘em champ! You’ve got
this and so do I! Here’s to a lifetime of happiness, success, and service!
(B183 and B283)
No comments:
Post a Comment