Friday, May 8, 2015

How do you college kids keep up?

I'll tell you how...YOU'RE YOUNG! Going back to college is not for the faint of heart, but I'm glad I am doing it. I have learned so much already. I'm supposed to answer the questions from our Readings and Videos activity, but I'm really not sure to what the course is referring. I hope I've covered it. :-/

An example of something I learned came while I was reading the book The E-Myth Revisited, Michael E. Gerber wrote, "The problem is that everybody who goes into business is actually three-people-in-one: The Entrepreneur, The Manager, and The Technician.

The Entrepreneur is basically the dreamer who comes up with all the great ideas; everything is “an exceptional opportunity.” The Entrepreneur is the “visionary in all of us.”

The Manager is “pragmatic.” While the Entrepreneur lives in the future, The Manager lives in the past. The Manager is the organizer, the arranger, the one who needs to be in control of everything, while The Entrepreneur loves change. The Manger is the one who sees all the problems The Entrepreneur sees as exciting new opportunities.

Finally we have The Technician. The Technician doesn’t like either one of the other guys because he just needs to get stuff done and they get in his way. The Entrepreneur is always coming up with “the next great thing” and The Manager is always on his back to be more efficient. The Technician is the doer and would love to just “do,” if everyone else would get out of his way.

Now, there is nothing wrong with this scenario if you want to see your business fail. None of us can do it all. THAT’S the great lesson in all this. I’m excited to continue reading and learning from this book, to discover how to start AND KEEP our business running! I think this book will help.

Another thing I realized this week is my $100 challenge project wouldn’t work with the timing of the class. Needless to say it was back to the drawing board. I THINK my project will still work, but it would have to be advertised as either a graduation gift or maybe even end of school year gift, rather than a Mother’s Day gift. I think I can still make it work, I just need to figure out the timing of it all. Wish me luck. GOURMET COVERED APPLES ANYONE??? Maybe some lovely chocolate covered strawberries or pretzels??? sounds tempting, don’t they? I think so.

The down side…how am I supposed to create all of these yummies and stay true to my diet? Willpower? Yeah…no…I don’t think so. Maybe a lot of prayer? Yep…I think that is the answer. Wish me luck!

As for you college age kids who are thinking of blowing off college or dropping out…a word of advice: DO NOT DO IT! College can be so exciting and rewarding. Take advantage of it while you are still young enough to actually enjoy it! Go to campus activities. Get involved. Have fun. LEARN SOMETHING!! In the end, you will be grateful you did it. Not only that, but it would be a really cool thing to tell your kids you actually did it!

Happy Mother’s Day everyone! It just so happens to be my birthday that same day and I get to celebrate with my family and with a SKYPE call from my missionary. Life just keeps getting better and better!

No comments:

Post a Comment